It’s been over five years since GRAMMY-nominated Country duo THOMPSON SQUARE have release new music! It has been worth the wait! The duo just released their new album on June 1 called Masterpiece.
Thompson Square’s previous albums have had big ballads such as “Glass” on Thompson Square and “If I Didn’t Have You” on Just Feels Good which reached #1 at Country Radio. Masterpiece might not have that big ballad, but fans will get that same sense of connection from “Breakers.” There are the roll down your window songs to tracks like “Good Day” and “Stuck In My Head.” Of course the love songs that Thompson Square have become known for as they continue to showcase their writing and vocal abilities.
Shawna and Keifer Thompson have had a busy media week surrounding the release of their album, followed by a busy weekend at CMA Fest where they were able to have an album release/fan appreciation party for their fans! They played the entire album as fans enjoyed food and afterwards got to talk with each and every one present! Keifer’s parents were also in attendance which made it that much more special!
T2 were also featured as special guests on today’s edition of CMT After MidNite with Cody Alan and CMT Radio Live with Cody Alan, having spent a day visiting with patients, performing new songs and being interviewed at the Seacrest Studios at Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt.
MASTERPIECE Track Listing:
1. “Masterpiece” (Keifer Thompson)
2. “Up in Smoke” (Brad Warren, Brett Warren, Keifer Thompson, Shawna Thompson)
3. “Millionaires” (Marv Green, Catt Gravitt, Courtney Cole)
4. “Stupid Girls Stupid Boys” (Ben Caver, Sara Haze, AJ Pruis, Laura Veltz)
5. “Let’s Do Something Stupid” (Jason Lehning, Keifer Thompson)
6. “Stuck in My Head” (Brad Warren, Brett Warren, Keifer Thompson, Shawna Thompson)
7. “Good Day” (Erik Belz, Frank Rogers, Keifer Thompson, Shawna Thompson)
8. “I Know This Guy” (Mike Fiorentino, Keifer Thompson)
9. “A Love Like This” (Cary Barlowe, Keifer Thompson)
10. “Make It Rain” (Emily Weisband, Marv Green, Keifer Thompson)
11. “Breakers” (Marti Dodson, Patrick Droney, Keifer Thompson)
- “Masterpiece” is the title track of the album and rightfully so. Keifer wrote this song by himself, about the legacy he would leave behind. Before having his son Cooper, he always thought he would leave behind a great music career, big house, fancy car… and then his son was born and everything changed. His legacy, his masterpiece, is his son. It’s a beautiful song, that is also Shawna’s favorite off the album and moved her to tears. Keifer was especially impressed by this since she is a tough critic on songs. He played it for her one morning while she was still pregnant. It’s definitely a favorite, if not the favorite of the songs on the album. It’s not only a beautiful song, but it has really amazing metaphors that build imagery and show how truly meaningful and important a child truly is. Although the song was inspired by their son, it can be applied to anyone, which makes it a true masterpiece
Shakespeare sure knew how to write them / Words that would live through our time / That Eiffel Tower’s still standing / It’s built to be one of a kind / Da Vinci’s got his Mona Lisa / And Beethoven’s got his symphonies / But you’re my masterpiece.
2. “Up In Smoke” is a song T2 has been performing since their last tour and looks incredibly cool with all the special effects. It’s a song that was inspired by Keifer’s ex-girlfriend.
The use of repetition allows the excitement to build as they begin to play with fire!
I keep coming, coming back / I keep coming, coming back / I keep coming back for more / Playing with fire / and the flames getting higher / I’m going up in smoke.
Shawna’s angelic voice makes you feel every note as she sings “Firrrrrrrreeeeeee”
3. “Millionaires” is one of two tracks that the duo didn’t have a hand in writing and one they enjoy playing live because of its uptempo beat. It’s one of Shawna’s favorite songs on the album and a fun departure. The lyrics talk about how rich they would be if they could turn their love into money, which would definitely be great for artists in the music business as many can relate to not having much money in the bank while they chase their dreams.
We got no money in the bank
No gas in the tank
No jingle in my jang
Baby don’t you think that we could…
Take our love, turn it into money
We’d be rolling in the dough, let me tell you honey
We’d be millionaires
4. “Stupid Girls Stupid Boys” is the other song the duo didn’t have a hand in writing, but a song you can really jam and sing along to. It’s a song that fans will relate to with lyrics like:
Shout out to the stupid girls baby, screw must of come loose kind of crazies. I don’t mean to be mean but I don’t think they knew what they were losing. Every time I’m looking at you, I can’t believe there was somebody somewhere that had you and gave you back. It’s all love and adoration, I got mad appreciation for the stupid girls.
5. “Let’s Do Something Stupid” is a song the duo has also been playing on their acoustic tour. They slow things down as Keifer explained at a show, that it was about the time he and Shawna first began their relationship. Keifer had been dating another girl on and off and decided to end things as he and Shawna did something stupid, all those years ago and started something magical. Here they are 19 years later! It’s a sweet song that helps you get a sense of where they came from. There are probably many out there that can relate to taking a risk and doing something they might regret, but hey it just might turn out to be the best thing they ever did!
It might be wrong but it might be right
Guess we’ll find out in the morning
Let’s do something stupid
6. “Stuck In My Head” seems like it would be a really radio friendly song if it was able to get that kind of exposure. Maybe it’s because the song really does get stuck in your head? It’s not only a song with catchy lyrics, but also with the kind of production that has a little bit of everything, that makes everything about it make you feel happy inside.
Stuck in my head like a song, gotta sing along
Sounds so good, can’t turn it off
Your melody, is haunting me
And I just can’t forget
You’re stuck in my head
7. “Good Day” is a song the duo wrote while on a writing retreat where life was really rough on the beach drinking coconut rum. 😉 It even sounds tropical!
Life ain’t gonna get no better than this
So when the sun comes up
let’s do it again, just like this ’cause
Today is a good day
8. “I Know This Guy” is one of our favorites on the album. It just has that true Thompson Square sound, the way their voices blend into each other, really turns the song into the steamy romance it’s meant to be. When they sing the “whoa, whoa whoa” all our insides melt and it’s what true love should be like. It’s a song that encompasses who Thompson Square is, cuz at the end of the day, who would they be without each other?
Worships the ground that she walks on
Yeah he’s her moon, her stars, her sun
He knows, she knows, he’d die for her
And she needs him so damn much it hurts
Whoa, everytime her fingertips touch me
Whoa, it’s hard to hold back and harder to breathe
She’s got me right where I want me
And it’s only her that I need
In this big, old, crazy, messed up world
I know this guy, I know this girl
9. “A Love Like This” is a song that already has over 1 million streams on Spotify! One that also mentions their son “Cooper” while Shawna was pregnant with him. It’s truly their story and makes you feel happy and warm inside knowing that despite everything else in this life, they have a wonderful love with each other and their son!
We said forever and I’ll change the name
Who would’ve thought we could love anything
More than this love, more than this life
But now there’s a little heartbeat inside
It was a long shot kiss
It was a last call risk, yeah
That’s how it all happened
That’s how it all started
10. “Make It Rain” has been in the duo’s setlist on live shows for the last couple of years and has been a fan favorite. It kind of plays off millionaire in a sense, that instead of their love being turned into money, it’s kisses they can spend on one another. They just want to love each other, and after all isn’t that how it should be?
We may never be rich
But you and me don’t need to be
When you’re lovin’ like this
When you’re lovin’ like this
I wanna spend these kisses like money
Till we’re so broke it ain’t funny
I wanna spend these kisses like money, money
Let’s make it rain yeah
11. The album ends with the song “Breakers” which is a song that brings Shawna to tears as she performs it live. Keifer told RollingStone it’s a song that chronicles “the worst thing that has happened in their life.” It’s a song about being hurt by the ones you love the most. It makes us wonder if it’s about some of the ones they were close to in the music industry that championed them and then ended up leaving. It’s a hard song not only to perform but to listen to, knowing that pain is so real.
Although the song is personal, it’s one that applies to so many situations. Whether it be a family member, friend, relationship, co-worker. It can apply to so many which makes the emotions that more real and honest as you can picture the person/people who have hurt you.
They say you hurt the ones you love the most
Well I must be lucky you must really love me most
I guess I’ll never understand why you can’t be happy
If you know I’m happy no
Loving you is putting my head in the fire
Hoping that it won’t burn this time
Or the next time or the next time
Some people are leavers
Some people are stayers
Some people run when it gets too tough
Some people are braver
You’re supposed to love me
Oh but I can’t make it
I’m getting tired of giving all I got to a taker
Some people are fixers
But some people are breakers
Download or stream MASTERPIECE in its entirety here.
PHOTO GALLERY – THOMPSON SQAURE’S FAN CLUB PARTY